Allen Fossil Plant
TVA’s Allen Fossil Plant is located on 500 acres on McKellar Lake, five miles southwest of downtown Memphis. Memphis Light Gas & Water built the plant, with construction beginning in 1956, and all three of its units were generating power by October 1959. The plant was leased to TVA in 1964, and TVA purchased it outright in 1984. The plant is named after Thomas H. Allen, who was a former president of the Memphis utility.
Allen’s three units have a total summer net capability of 741 megawatts.
The plant has a proud history of reliability. Allen Fossil Plant unit 2 set a run record of 198 days.
Allen’s three coal-fired units are scheduled to be retired by June 2018 and replaced with a cleaner natural gas generators that will help ensure low-cost and reliable electricity for the greater Memphis area and TVA’s western service territory. Read more about the plan to transform Allen into a gas plant.
Toxics Release Inventory
TVA is required to report annually to the Environmental Protection Agency on the amounts of chemicals released by its fossil-fuel plants. Check here for the latest data on Allen.
TVA monitors other emissions at its fossil plants, including sulfur dioxide, nitogen oxide, carbon dioxide and mercury. Check here for the latest data on Allen.