Ocoee Reservoir No. 2
Ocoee Dam No. 2, located in southeast Tennessee, is the second in a series of three TVA dams on the Ocoee River. Ocoee No. 2, completed in 1913, was among the first hydroelectric projects in the region. It was acquired by TVA in 1939. Together the Ocoee dams form an integral part of TVAs hydroelectric system and provide important recreation benefits.
The Ocoee No. 2 powerhouse is located nearly five miles downstream from the dam. At the dam, water from the river is diverted into a flume, a wooden trough supported on a bench carved out of the mountainside. The flume carries the water to a point where it is discharged through pipes to the powerhouse more than 250 feet below.
This ingenious system allows the amount of power generated by the 30-foot-high dam to equal that of a 250-foot-high dam. Constructed in 1912, the flume is on the National Register of Historic Places.
More information on Ocoee Reservoir No. 2